Trojans Triumph in Hawaiimoji Contest

Erisa Castillo

Erisa Castillo

Chloe Fong

Funded by the Bank of Hawaii, the Hawaiimoji app was released, allowing emojis to spread the aloha. High schools were given the challenge to compete against another school to send the most stickers of their local logo and win $2,000 for their school’s athletics program. From Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, the Trojan family was able to triumph during the first round, defeating Farrington High School, the home of the Governors. As a result, MHS won the $2,000 and advanced to the Hawaiimoji Blitz Championship Playoffs to compete against other schools who won round one. The playoffs, from Oct. 15 to Oct. 27, are for a chance to win an additional $10,000.

“Bank of Hawaii reached out to the OIA and our league office approved it and sent it to all school’s Athletic Directors,” said Athletic Director Glenn Nitta, “I knew we have a strong support group in school and in the community. That’s why we won.”

Each High School was instructed that, ‘the team with the most usage of their high school logo sent via text message will win,’ leaving the results completely in the hands of the school and community. “My initial goal was to I think spread the word to encourage participation, so we could win. It’s always fun to have competitive (but) positive competition, and so a local group, Bank of Hawaii, getting the approval to do something like this—getting the approval to have local emojis is kind of fun and exciting. To see your logo as an icon that can be used in texting, I think the whole concept is really cool and clever,” said Student Activities Coordinator Janet Ward-Riehle.

The Trojans had a rough beginning, with the Governors leading by over double MHS’s amount. “Initially, because it was over a holiday weekend I don’t think we had a good start—which probably put Farrington in a comfortable zone, thinking that like they have this under their control. But as soon as we jumped on the train, we kinda went full speed ahead,” said Ward-Riehle. The unexpected turnaround was a shock to many. “The day before, I saw that we were behind and then I was trying my hardest to get everybody to start texting, I was texting like 2,000 a day and then I was just going and everybody else, my friends were texting. I saw that it reloaded and we were at like 42,000 and they were only at 22,000. I was so excited,” added Spirit and Athletics Manager Senior Destiny Perreira.

Halfway through the week, MHS starting slowly gaining on the Governors to take the lead. “I know that Farrington is a really spirited school, and they’re one of the schools that I look up to for their spirit, and so I was like this isn’t gonna be easy. I felt like it was gonna be tough and that we were gonna have a hard time coming through, but we pulled through,” said Perreira.

The final results were Mililani Trojans: 93,418 and Farrington Governors: 60,936, allowing the Trojans to move on to the playoffs. “I felt so prideful for being a Trojan. I was like, ‘We are the Trojans!’” said Perreira. “I was just really proud of the students because they didn’t have to, there wasn’t like, we were forcing them to or anything. But they did it out of their own pride. They wanted to get the reward for our school, so they decided to participate and I was just really proud of them.”

This donation for the sports programs will not go unnoticed. “We will use it where needed; equipment, supplies or transportation for all teams,” said Nitta. “Everyone will benefit, no specific team.”

Although MHS took home the win this time, there is still the playoff round to come. “I hope it’s just lighting a fire because now that we won that first round we will go onto playoffs. That’s honestly when the real challenge comes on,” said Ward-Riehle.

In the next month, students and community members can expect to receive and send thousands of Trojan stickers for the Hawaiimoji Blitz Championship Playoffs.

-#####-